-- 2016-2017 SEOTY WINNERS --
-- 2015-2016 SEOTY WINNERS --
-- 2014-2015 SEOTY WINNERS --
National Student Employment Week
April 9-15, 2017
The National Student Employment Association (NSEA) has declared that the second complete week in April each year be set aside to recognize the value of student employees. As a part of the recognition of student employees, NSEA coordinates a selection process and chooses the National Student Employee of the Year. Each region submits a name to NSEA for consideration. The NSEA winner receives a $1,000 cash award! Below is additional information for participating at the regional level.
In order to be eligible to participate in the regional competition, your institution has to be a paid member of WASEA or NSEA. If your student is selected as the WASEA winner, your institution must be a member of NSEA in order for your student to be considered for the national award.
Student nominees must have completed or will expect to complete, at least three (3) months full-time or six (6) months part-time employment during this academic year, June 1, 2015 to May 30, 2016. Students may be paid by work study funds or institutional funds; they can be undergraduate or graduate level as well.
Nominations will be judged on the following characteristics: reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism, and the uniqueness of the student's contribution to the employer.
- December 20, 2016
- VP of Conferences & Awards distribute announcement and application materials to their members and NSEA members in their region.
- February 17, 2017
- SEOTY nominations are due to the campus Student Employment office.
- March 1, 2017
- Notifications of campus winners due to the State Liaisons.
- March 8, 2017
- State winners due to the VP of Conferences & Awards.
- March 22, 2017
- VP of Conferences & Awards submits the regional winner to the NSEA VP of Membership Services.
- March 27-31, 2017
- National Student Employee of the Year is selected and winner's school notified by NSEA President.
- April 9-15, 2017
- National Student Employment Week observed.
- National SEOTY winner announced and runner-up finalists notified.
- National SEOTY award is presented at winner's campus.
- Send the Nomination Form with a cover memo explaining the competition to your campus employers as soon as possible. Set a nomination deadline such that your selection committee can notify your WASEA state liaison of your selected winner by March 1, 2016. Suggested campus deadline is February 17, 2016.
- Appoint a selection committee to review the submitted nominations.
- Utilize these forms to Rank and Tabulate your nominations.
- Submit the Institutional Selection Form and the Nomination Form of your winner to your State Liaison by March 1, 2016. If your state does not currently have a liaison, please submit your nominations directly to the VP of Conferences & Awards (email@example.com).
- Call for nominations - publicize the competition widely, put it in your campus newspaper, send flyers to all departments, announce on your campus homepage and any departmental listserv.
- Selection committee - be certain it's more than just faculty and administrators. Include clerical staff and one or two students (undergrad or grad). The committee should total an odd number to avoid ties when voting (five, seven, or nine members is recommended).
- Promote the competition by posting pictures of nominees around campus as they are received, put articles in campus paper, on homepage, and listserv.
- Selection criteria - have some mechanism to consider all students equally and not give too much consideration to complex job descriptions or longevity of service.
- Award presentation - have a meal function with top administrators, students' families, and students' supervisors, even local and state legislators present. Allow time for pictures of all nominees with school president (or whoever is presenting). Be sure to invite media (print and broadcast) to cover the event. Have state government issue a proclamation.
- Prizes - arrange for cash scholarship, tuition waiver, or bookstore certificate for winner. Have trophies, plaques, or certificates for all nominees.
- Hold your recognition event during National Student Employment Week.
Contact the WASEA VP of Conferences & Awards with any questions you have regarding the SEOTY process.
Danielle Richmond, Vice President of Conferences & Awards
Seattle Pacific University
3307 3rd Ave W St 114
Seattle, WA 98119
Phone: (206) 281-2047